City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385

If you can read this, your browser is not style sheet compliant. If you are using an ADA browser, continue on for information and menu links.For more information regarding the City and Borough Juneau's new website design, click [here].

How Do I...

Appeal a Citation Get My Impounded Vehicle Abandoned Vehicle File an Online Police Report Apply for Employment Request A Police Report Compliments/Complaints Contact Us

JPD Menu

People of Interest

Felony Theft - ShopliftingEntire List

Juneau Police Department

Questions Posted to "Ask a Dispatcher"

Q. Is it legal for your designated driver to only have a driver's permit? Does the permit holder's accompanied driver have to be non-impaired?

Dear Juneau Resident,

The law can be applied to this situation but is that really necessary? (Big Sigh) Yes, this situation has happened in Juneau but it would be nice to think that people can see on their own that some things are just a very bad idea, no legal citation needed. Some examples are driving backwards down the road just for some variety. Strapping the babyseat to the car roof because, hey, the dog likes the wind. Driving blindfolded home just to see if you can. Yes, there are laws that can be applied to all of those situations AND a drunk person supervising a driver with a permit.

If there are people out there that must be convinced by a law, here it is. Alaska Statute 28.15.051 says is the supervising driver "has to be 21 years of age who has been licensed at least one year to drive the type or class of vehicle being used, who is capable of exercising control over the vehicle and who occupies a seat beside the driver..."


CBJ Image