City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385

If you can read this, your browser is not style sheet compliant. If you are using an ADA browser, continue on for information and menu links.For more information regarding the City and Borough Juneau's new website design, click [here].

How Do I...

Appeal a Citation Get My Impounded Vehicle Abandoned Vehicle File an Online Police Report Apply for Employment Request A Police Report Compliments/Complaints Contact Us

JPD Menu

People of Interest

Felony Theft - ShopliftingEntire List

Juneau Police Department

Questions Posted to "Ask a Dispatcher"

Q. My son sold a car to another young man here in Juneau. He filled out a bill of sale accepting a down payment and 2 subsequent payments. The bill of sale listed all 3 payment amounts and payment dates, it also clearly stated that upon the last payment the title would be delivered to the buyer or the vehicle would be repossessed if the last payment was not made. Both parties "my son, the buyer and a witness" agreed to and signed the bill of sale. The last payment was not made and it was due over 30 days ago. When the buyer was contacted by my son he asked if he could make another partial payment and get the title because he sold the vehicle to someone else who is threatening him if he doesn't provide the title. My question is what can my son do to resolve this issue and what can JPD do to help?

Dear Juneau Resident,

This dispute falls into the civil area of law rather than criminal so JPD would not have a voice in how to resolve the dispute or any role with assiting with a repossession or any action stemming from the contract. Your best bet is to consult with an attorney who works in the civil area and if that is too expensive, your son can contact Alaska Legal Services to see if they could help him without charge. Contract enforcement and determining if someone is acting in good faith, under the law, can be a complicated issue. You could also take the buyer to small claims court, to collect the rest of the money, without an attorney. You can file that paperwork at the courthouse.


CBJ Image