City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385

If you can read this, your browser is not style sheet compliant. If you are using an ADA browser, continue on for information and menu links.For more information regarding the City and Borough Juneau's new website design, click [here].

How Do I...

Appeal a Citation Get My Impounded Vehicle Abandoned Vehicle File an Online Police Report Apply for Employment Request A Police Report Compliments/Complaints Contact Us

JPD Menu

People of Interest

Felony Theft - ShopliftingEntire List

Juneau Police Department

Questions Posted to "Ask a Dispatcher"

Q. I have a tenant who I want to evict. I am afraid he is going to get volatile when I serve the paperwork asking him to vacate the apartment. Is this something I can ask a policeman to be present for? The tenant is always intoxicated and owns at least three semi-automatic assault rifles. I find him very unpredictable.

Dear Juneau Resident,

Standing by for eviction notices to be given is not a service JPD offers for a couple of reasons, it would be a staffing burden and we would have to be careful of the legal exposure.

In your situation it might be wise to check with a civil attorney and see if certified mail or some other service, not in person, would satisfy the landlord tenant act. If the person refuses to leave and there is a safety concern you can ask the court for a writ of assistance to have police get involved physically.

Whenever the police get involved officers need to know they have legal justification if they end up having to restrain the person, physically remove them, take children, etc...that is why the court authorization is important. People often ask that officers just standby so nothing happens but officers have to think in terms of assuming something will happen and they will have to take action and justify that action.


CBJ Image