City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385

If you can read this, your browser is not style sheet compliant. If you are using an ADA browser, continue on for information and menu links.For more information regarding the City and Borough Juneau's new website design, click [here].

How Do I...

Appeal a Citation Get My Impounded Vehicle Abandoned Vehicle File an Online Police Report Apply for Employment Request A Police Report Compliments/Complaints Contact Us

JPD Menu

People of Interest

Felony Theft - ShopliftingEntire List

Juneau Police Department

Questions Posted to "Ask a Dispatcher"

Q. Is a "Driving without a license" a criminal offense or just a traffic violation like speeding?

Dear Juneau Resident,

It depends on if the officer cites the driver under state law or city ordinance. A violation of Alaska Statute 28.15.011 (b) is an A misdemeanor. A violation of city ordinance 72.10.028 is a violation, like speeding. The city DWOL (driving without a license) ticket is $300 the first time and a mandatory court appearance on the 2nd offense. If someone is a repeat offender the officer may choose to kick it up to the state charge to get more significant consequences.

In either case, the vehicle will probably serve time immediately because it is impounded. Having to walk from the scene is often the most immediate consequence of DWOL. And if you are a kid, Mom and Dad may pick you up but they will be maaaddd.


CBJ Image