City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385

If you can read this, your browser is not style sheet compliant. If you are using an ADA browser, continue on for information and menu links.For more information regarding the City and Borough Juneau's new website design, click [here].

How Do I...

Appeal a Citation Get My Impounded Vehicle Abandoned Vehicle File an Online Police Report Apply for Employment Request A Police Report Compliments/Complaints Contact Us

JPD Menu

People of Interest

Felony Theft - ShopliftingEntire List

Juneau Police Department

Questions Posted to "Ask a Dispatcher"

Q. Who do we notify about problem bears? One is spending a lot of time around Spruce, Parks, and Behrends near the cemetary, getting into garbage and beginning to scare people walking dogs in the dark.

Dear Juneau Resident,

It is that time of year when JPD gets all kinds of bear calls as bears try to put on those last layers of fat before the winter. Bears are smart and learn the garbage routes. In Juneau, there are more garbage routes than buffets on a cruise ship!

JPD dispatch recommends calling Fish and Game at 465-4265 for the situation you described. Fish and Game folks decide if a bear has become so habituated to people that it has to be trapped and either moved or destroyed. JPD has a policy of leaving alone bears who are not an imminent threat to people or property because the more you ‘shoo’ bears away from an area, the more habituated they get. Once they get hard to ‘shoo’, the real problems start.


CBJ Image