City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385

If you can read this, your browser is not style sheet compliant. If you are using an ADA browser, continue on for information and menu links.For more information regarding the City and Borough Juneau's new website design, click [here].

How Do I...

Appeal a Citation Get My Impounded Vehicle Abandoned Vehicle File an Online Police Report Apply for Employment Request A Police Report Compliments/Complaints Contact Us

JPD Menu

People of Interest

Felony Theft - ShopliftingEntire List

Juneau Police Department

Questions Posted to "Ask a Dispatcher"

Q. This may be a question for the fire department, but here goes. CBJ code states a burn permit is needed for open burning on one's property. From the CBJ website, "Open burning means the burning of a material which results in the products of combustion being emitted directly into the ambient air without passing through a stack or flue, but not including the burning of campfires, barbecues, candles or tobacco." My question is, what is the definition of a "campfire"? If I am relaxing in my backyard with a small fire and roasting marshmellows, hotdogs, etc, is this considered a campfire or do I need a burn permit?

Dear Juneau Resident,

What a great question as we get to fall and people are trying to enjoy those last few weekends of outdoor activity! A helpful fire marshal over at Capital City Fire and Rescue, Dan Jager, gave me a very specific definition of 'campfire'. A campfire is defined as a small fire no larger than 3 foot in diameter and is used for warming or cooking. As long as the fire is used for these purposes, no burn permit is needed.

Happy B-B-Qing!


CBJ Image