CBJ Mailing Address

City Hall
155 S. Seward St.
Juneau, AK 99801

Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM

CBJ Online Contact


Search the Site




If you can read this, your browser is not style sheet compliant. If you are using an ADA browser, continue on for information and menu links.For more information regarding the City and Borough Juneau's new website design, click [here].

Juneau Police Department

Questions Posted to "Ask a Dispatcher"

Q. Can anything be done about construction noise which starts up on the weekend before 7:00 AM? I live in the area of Skaters Cabin Road and they start using heavy machinery to dig, crush rocks, or whatever it is they do in the gravel pit really early on the weekends.

Dear Juneau Resident,

That area has had a real jump in housing units in the last few years. There certainly may be more conflicts in the future over this type of issue. Some of the historical commercial uses in that area have the potential of causing problems for those residents trying to sleep!

Here is what the CBJ noise ordinance says:

Construction of buildings and projects.
It is unlawful to operate any pile driver, power shovel, pneumatic hammer, derrick, power hoist, or similar heavy construction equipment, before 7:00 a.m. or after 10:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, or before 9:00 a.m. or after 10:00 p.m., Saturday and Sunday, unless a permit shall first be obtained from the City and Borough building official. Such permit shall be issued by the building official only upon a determination that such operation during hours not otherwise permitted under this section is necessary and will not result in unreasonable disturbance to surrounding residents.

JPD doesn't have any information about a permit to exceed noise limits for that area but without an exact address we can't check.

The first step might be to talk to the responsible parties at a time when you have not just been disturbed by the noise. Make sure the business operators know about the issue and see how cooperative they are as to accommodating the nearby residents. Sometimes noise carries farther than people making the noise realize. You can also check with them to see if there is a permit.

If no agreement seems possible and the problem persists call in a noise complaint to JPD. An officer can go out there and experience the level of noise. Noise complaints are generally going to involve some level of subjectivity. The city attorney also has to be on board with prosecuting the citation if the person cited gets a lawyer to fight the citation. There would be one of a number of questions, like whether the noise if from construction of a building or a project, to answer prior to the issue being addressed in court.

If the noise makers are at all reasonable, talking to the person is definitely the most immediate way to get results.


CBJ Image