City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385

If you can read this, your browser is not style sheet compliant. If you are using an ADA browser, continue on for information and menu links.For more information regarding the City and Borough Juneau's new website design, click [here].

How Do I...

Appeal a Citation Get My Impounded Vehicle Abandoned Vehicle File an Online Police Report Apply for Employment Request A Police Report Compliments/Complaints Contact Us

JPD Menu

People of Interest

Felony Theft - ShopliftingEntire List

Juneau Police Department

Questions Posted to "Ask a Dispatcher"

Q. How do you go about getting a restraining order.

Dear Juneau Resident,

Alaska has three types of restraining orders: an emergency order which is good for 72 hours, an Ex-Parte order which is in effect for 20 days; and a long-term order which generally lasts for a year.

The emergency order was created several years ago for people who needed protection but had no immediate access to a court. A police officer could contact a magistrate and request the emergency order be issued which would give the person time to contact the Court and complete the necessary process to obtain either an Ex Parte order or a long-term order.

You may obtain a restraining order by contacting the Clerk of the Court office and completing the necessary forms. You will have to appear before a judge who will inquire about your request and make a determination if a restraining order is warranted.

If you are a victim of domestic violence, you can contact the AWARE shelter whose advocates will assist you with the process.

In any case the Clerk's Office personnel can answer other specific questions you may have.


CBJ Image