City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385

If you can read this, your browser is not style sheet compliant. If you are using an ADA browser, continue on for information and menu links.For more information regarding the City and Borough Juneau's new website design, click [here].

How Do I...

Appeal a Citation Get My Impounded Vehicle Abandoned Vehicle File an Online Police Report Apply for Employment Request A Police Report Compliments/Complaints Contact Us

JPD Menu

People of Interest

Felony Theft - ShopliftingEntire List

Juneau Police Department

Questions Posted to "Ask a Dispatcher"

Q. Is there anything that can be done about the "boom boxes" that drive around town? For example, when waiting at a traffic light and one pulls up nearby or right behind you; or ones that drive down Riverside (I live off Riverside and can hear them going by out on Riverside). This has been a problem in Juneau for a long time and it is very frustrating for those of us who enjoy peace & quiet! Most occurrences seem to happen when it's dark, so it's nearly impossible to get a license plate number to call in to JPD. :-( Is there a noise ordinance to address this?

Dear Juneau Resident,

City ordinance 42.20.095 does specifically address noise from vehicles (see below). What really smarts about the ordinance is the registered owner, very possibly a parent, is the one on the hook for the $310 fine. Ouch. However, getting the plate is a necessary part of the process along with the offense happening after 10:00 p.m..

Not too long ago a car driven by a teenage male was sitting at the stop sign on Riverside at Stephen Richards with the bass so cranked up there was actual pain inflicted on someone who was stopped in front of that vehicle. That driver, like you, lives just off Riverside and feels your pain. Due to the hour of the day, about 5:00 p.m., 42.20.095 didnít apply. Darn the luck.

(c) Noise emanating from vehicles.
(1) Policy. It is unlawful for any person to play, continue to play, or allow to be played, any sound system from, within, or on any motor vehicle so that any sound, music, or vibration emanating therefrom can be heard at a distance of more than 30 feet between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 9:00 a.m., unless the vehicle is a sound truck operating pursuant to a permit issued under section 72.10.150.
(2) Liability. In a prosecution under this section, it shall be rebuttable presumption that the registered owner of a vehicle from which emanates noise in violation of this section has played or allowed to be played the sound system causing the noise.


CBJ Image