City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385

If you can read this, your browser is not style sheet compliant. If you are using an ADA browser, continue on for information and menu links.For more information regarding the City and Borough Juneau's new website design, click [here].

How Do I...

Appeal a Citation Get My Impounded Vehicle Abandoned Vehicle File an Online Police Report Apply for Employment Request A Police Report Compliments/Complaints Contact Us

JPD Menu

People of Interest

Felony Theft - ShopliftingEntire List

Juneau Police Department

Questions Posted to "Ask a Dispatcher"

Q. My boyfriend is mentally and physically abusive sometimes. I have called the AWARE shelter but they have no room and my family doesn't live here and i have no money to get my own place. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks

Dear Juneau Resident,

This is a really tough situation. If JPD still had a police crisis intervention specialist, our own social worker, we would have you work with her but we lost our grant recently and no longer have that program. What you could look at doing is asking a friend to put you up for a couple of days until there is some space at AWARE. You should keep checking with AWARE to see if any space has become available.

There are some other places you could call like St. Vincent De Paul (789-5535) but that organization already has a substantial waiting list. You can also try Catholic Community Services at 463-6100.

Probably the most effective tactic to take is an assertive and personal course. Borrow money from a family member, take out a loan against your car, liquidate items of value you have and put yourself closer to family where you might have some support or at least come up with enough money to rent a room in a house.

Many people find themselves in the same situation you do, staying in a relationship because of financial issues. You are definitely not alone in this situation.

The next time your boyfriend becomes physically abusive please call JPD immediately. An arrest for domestic violence will interrupt the cycle and give you some breathing room, at least days or weeks, to come up with a plan.


CBJ Image