City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385

If you can read this, your browser is not style sheet compliant. If you are using an ADA browser, continue on for information and menu links.For more information regarding the City and Borough Juneau's new website design, click [here].

How Do I...

Appeal a Citation Get My Impounded Vehicle Abandoned Vehicle File an Online Police Report Apply for Employment Request A Police Report Compliments/Complaints Contact Us

JPD Menu

People of Interest

Felony Theft - ShopliftingEntire List

Juneau Police Department

Questions Posted to "Ask a Dispatcher"

Q. Do you do animal control?

Dear Juneau Resident,

Sometimes JPD handles animal issues. JPD responds to calls where a situation has to be addressed immediately, like an animal has been hit by a car and has to be euthanized. Officers have been known to try to capture dogs that are creating a traffic hazard, with varying degrees of success. We have learned not to send the officers who eat only health food because experience has shown us turkey jerky will NOT entice a dog…or most people for that matter.

Most animal control issues go to the agency contracted by the city for that work, the Gastineau Humane Society (GHS). Their number is 789-6997. If it’s after hours, listen to the message at that number and you will get an on-call number.

GHS does not take calls about wild animals so you might ask, “What about bears?” Juneau is a town where you can sometimes see a bear on the street or in yards. A sighting does not need to be reported to JPD but an aggressive bear should be reported. In the past JPD has taken a report of a bear in the kitchen. The bear was not particularly aggressive but the 911 call certainly was in order.

JPD responds to some bear and deer calls but may also refer some of those calls to Fish and Game or Wildlife Troopers.


CBJ Image