City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385

If you can read this, your browser is not style sheet compliant. If you are using an ADA browser, continue on for information and menu links.For more information regarding the City and Borough Juneau's new website design, click [here].

How Do I...

Appeal a Citation Get My Impounded Vehicle Abandoned Vehicle File an Online Police Report Apply for Employment Request A Police Report Compliments/Complaints Contact Us

JPD Menu

People of Interest

Felony Theft - ShopliftingEntire List

Juneau Police Department

Questions Posted to "Ask a Dispatcher"

Q. Last night my car was hit while parked and I got the other parties car insurance information and made a report to my car insurance company. Was I supposed to also contact JPD and file a report with them too?

Dear Juneau Resident,

You do not need to report the collision to JPD. You do need to report the collision to the State of Alaska if the incident caused an injury or damage in excess of $501. Luckily the forms are available online and are not burdensome. Here is the website:

Below is a quote directly from the Alaska Driver's Manual.

If you are involved in a crash, which results in bodily injury or death to a person, or property
damage in excess of $501, you must provide - within 15 days - proof of insurance to the
Division of Motor Vehicles. Proof of insurance is required from all the drivers involved in
the crash regardless of who caused the crash. This means you must provide the proof of
insurance even if you did not cause the crash. The requirement to notify the Division of
Motor Vehicles is in addition to any report given to the police or your insurance company.
Normally the officer investigating the crash will give a certificate of insurance form to the
drivers. The certificate of insurance forms are also available at any DMV office or on the
state web page.
If you were uninsured or you fail to provide the proof within 15 days, your driverís license
will be suspended for 90 days for a first occurrence and 1 year for a second occurrence.


CBJ Image