CBJ Mailing Address

City Hall
155 S. Seward St.
Juneau, AK 99801

Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM

CBJ Online Contact


Search the Site




If you can read this, your browser is not style sheet compliant. If you are using an ADA browser, continue on for information and menu links.For more information regarding the City and Borough Juneau's new website design, click [here].

Juneau Police Department

Questions Posted to "Ask a Dispatcher"

Q. Someone abandoned their car on my property. How do I get rid of it?

Dear Juneau Resident,

This issue comes up pretty regularly. Your best bet is to claim the vehicle then it is yours to dispose of as you see fit. Here is a recycled answer from the 'Ask A Dispatcher' archives.

If someone puts a broken down car in his or her own yard or on public property there could be a violation of city ordinance 36.30.230 (en'tire' ordinance at the end of this answer). If the vehicle is abandoned on private property the owner of the property can also go to the DMV website and follow the steps under the topic of 'Abandoned Vehicle' and claim the property.

36.30.230 - Abandoned and junked vehicles.

No person may deposit or maintain a junked or abandoned vehicle on any private property or on any street, sidewalk, recreation area, open space, or other public property. It shall be a defense to a charge under this section that the vehicle was located within a permanent structure or on property lawfully used as a junkyard pursuant to title 49 of this Code.

A junked or abandoned vehicle deposited in any place in violation of this section is considered to have been so deposited by the last registered owner of the vehicle unless the last registered owner has filed a notice of transfer or assignment in accordance with AS 28.10.271, in which case proof of the filing of the notice shall constitute prima facie evidence that the transferee named in the notice was the person who deposited the junked or abandoned vehicle in violation of this section.

A transferor or assignor of a vehicle who fails to file a notice as provided in AS 28.10.271, within ten days of the transfer or assignment, shall be guilty of an infraction.

Violation of subsection (a) or subsection (c) of this section is an infraction, upon conviction of which the court shall impose a minimum fine of $295.00. The execution of sentence may not be suspended nor may probation be granted except on condition that the minimum fine provided in this section is paid. Imposition of sentence may not be suspended.

Upon a conviction under subsection (a) of this section, the court shall order the defendant to make restitution for the actual costs incurred by the City and Borough for disposal of the vehicle.

Answered 10-1-12


CBJ Image